Since 1994 and 1000s of CSMs worldwide, the CSM curriculum was originally created by the SIIA, but now co-owned and managed by License Logic. The CSM teaches students how to better manage their software licenses and to know what liabilities exist when it comes to non-compliance with the copyright law. In addition, students learn the importance of a SAM (software asset management) team and how to build the foundation to a productive SAM (software asset management) initiative. SAM and maintaining software compliance in one’s environment is not easy, equip yourself with the right knowledge to tackle SAM efficiently. Become a CSM today!
What You Will Learn
Who Should Attend
- Identify the components of an effective software management plan
- Reduce waste of unused software licenses in your IT department
- Recognize various types of software license agreements
- Understand liabilities surrounding copyright infringement
- Untangle the details of the self-audit process
Employees that are involved with the management of software licenses: Software Licensing Managers; Software Compliance Managers; IT Administrators; IT Asset Managers; IT Procurement Managers; IT Service Managers; Purchasing Agents; Legal Representatives; HR Personnel; and Software Asset Managers.
Unit I: Introduction & Course Objectives
- Definition of Software Asset Management (SAM)
- Software Industry Response to Software Compliance and SAM
- Course Objectives
Unit II: Understanding Copyright Law
- Definitions of Intellectual Property
- Review of US Copyright Law – Title 17
- Canada Copyright Law – (International Law)
- Liabilities of Copyright Law
- “Special” Situations for Copyright Law
- Exercise: Reasons for Software Piracy
Unit III: Software Piracy-the Problem Defined
- Global Piracy Rates
- Types of Software Piracy
- Consequences of Software Piracy
Unit IV: Understanding License Agreements
- Software License Agreement Definition
- Types of License Agreements
- Metering Software
- Exercise: License Agreements Review
Unit V: Anti-Piracy Actions
- Trade Associations
- Anti-Piracy Actions
- Cease and Desist
- Cooperative Audits
- Anti-Piracy Statistics
Unit VI: Developing a Software Management Plan
- Software Management Team
- Components of a Software Management Plan
- Standards for SAM
- ISO 19770-1 Overview
- Evaluate Organization Current Status
Unit VII: Communicating the Plan
- Educating Users
- Building a Case
- Presenting Case to Management
Unit VIII: The Audit Process
- Three-fold Process
- Field Work
- Report Audit Results
- Take Corrective Actions
The CSM contains the CSM Manual which is over 150 pages and made available to the student for download (PDF).
All Certification Courses include access to the Certification Exam, and passing of the Exam is a must for the Certification designation. Student must have completed the Certification Course before taking Certification Exam, otherwise Exam results will be invalid with no refund. For Onsite or Private Seminars email instructions will be sent to student immediately following any Live Course Training and the student will have 30 Day Access to the Exam once email has been sent. For OnDemand Courses and Exams, 1 Year Term begins immediately upon Enrollment.
- Student has 3 attempts to pass Exam during Access Term Period (80% to pass)
- Student will be given option to print Certificate upon passing the exam within LMS (Learning Management System)
If student fails to pass the certification exam or access term expires, student may re-purchase the exam for a $100 fee and access to the Re-Take Exam is for a 30 Day Term. Please contact email@example.com for any re-purchases.
Pricing for OnDemand
Course and Exam
ESM Pro Information
Go on and become a PRO! DISCOUNTED PRICING when buying all 4 Courses! Student must complete all Certifications (CSM, ASM, ESM and the CSLN) in order to achieve the ESM Pro Certification designation. Upon completion of all Certifications Student may request an ESM Pro certificate by contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need Private Training?
Pricing for a Course(s) and Exam(s) is as follows:
- $5,000/per day of training for up to 10 attendees; each additional attendee after the 10th attendee is $450/attendee + travel, hotel, meal, and incidental expenses included in price if within Continental United States.
- If outside Continental United States then travel, hotel, meal, and incidental expenses may apply.
- Any Certification Exams are included with the final price.
- Buyer is to provide the room and a projector for the training, all other training materials will be provided by LicenseLogic.
NOTE: If you are not sure what course(s) or workshop will fit your needs, give us a call and we will help you determine the best education for your group.
To find out more information or to book an On-Site or Private Training please call (301) 363-1658 or email email@example.com.
Students must Re-Certify once every 3 Years. If a major update to Certification Course occurs before the student’s 3-Year term is expired, an announcement will occur and students can determine if they need to achieve the updated Certification. See the Re-Certification page for further information.
NOTE: For past students with an expiration on their respective Certification certificate see Re-Certification page to find out more information on how to receive an updated certificate.